Welcome to Estimate My Aid, a Net Price Calculator and Automatic Award Calculator in one! This
process will provide you with not only the net price to attend the University of Northern Iowa, but also
the awards you will be automatically considered for when you apply for admission. In addition, you will
be able to view the average Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for your income level. The EFC is
calculated from the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and used to
determine your actual financial aid award.
As you use the calculator, please keep in mind that:
- This is not an official application for financial aid.
- Estimate My Aid is designed to provide an estimate of financial assistance to first time, full-time,
domestic freshmen students. The cost of attendance and financial aid availability may change.
These estimates shall not be binding on the Secretary of Education, the state of Iowa or the
University of Northern Iowa.
- The results will be based on the information provided.
- You should complete the FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) as soon as possible after October 1st.
The Net Price Calculator is an early estimate of possible assistance, so the results cannot present a
complete picture. The best way to determine the college education for you and your goals is to visit
campus and speak with counselors from admissions and financial aid.
Drawbacks of Calculator
- Cannot describe the overall value of that education to a student's personal and professional goals.
- Implies that price is the only consideration when selecting a college.
- Does not take into account all possible funding available (e.g. UNI's talent-based awards such as art, music,
theatre, and debate scholarships for which a student may be eligible).
- Does not take into account special circumstances the financial aid office may consider with an official application.
- Can dissuade the user from conversations with college employees who can clarify and help, especially if the results are incorrect.
Benefits of Calculator
- Gives some early insight into college costs for better planning and saving.
- Shows immediate results.
- Can begin the conversation with admissions and financial aid counselors, especially if you bring a printout to your college visit.
- Provides a starting point for families unfamiliar with the college search process.
To discuss the Net Price Calculator with an admissions counselor or to arrange a campus visit,
email email@example.com or call 319-273-2281.